COF

COF

Friday, September 7, 2012

The Reality Of Fake Worlds and Other Stuff

Writings been picking up. A lot of dialogue work of late. No wonder most authors are a little crazy. I mean, we can spend large chunks of the day making up conversations happening between imaginary people. Tho, I like to think of my characters as something more than imaginary but less than real and that I'm listening in on their conversations and peeking in on their worlds, writing down what I see and hear to the best of my ability.

Which makes it hard  when I see something that I don't understand but still have to describe. Laymen call it World Building, and I am a world builder by trade. Its a lot easier, I think, to write a mystery, or Urban Fantasy or the like set in a near or current (even past) Earth because everything is all there, the painting has been painted.  You can write that the cityscape was cut with the silhouettes of skyscrapers and the reader will know what you mean. Maybe some will envision shadow blades ripping apart clouds or something, but in general, people know what a skyscraper is. The same goes for oak trees,  beavers, airplanes, butter knives, trout, grizzlies, etc, etc, etc.

But what if I wrote: the cityscape was cut with the silhouettes of domids,  or the menacing form of the Vandread lurched forth? Those require a little more explanation, or, as I like to call it, translation. Which is where, my favorite, World Building comes into play.

The world(s) of The Nonari are a good example of extensive World Building. Familiar, but not, all at the same time.

With everything I write, my aim is to have a seemingly basic over story that hides multiple dozens of twisting and turning under currents, so that a reader cam read the same story a dozen times and still be like: Oh, I get it now! Or: How did I miss that? And I like to plant something (or things) seemingly benign in the beginning of a book or series and then have it (them) manifest into something malignant farther down the line.

Using that way of thinking, The Nonari series could be compared to the worlds biggest Russian Doll, or even a colossal onion if you want to get more cliche. Every time you open one up or peel aside a layer, there's always another doll waiting and another layer to be peeled.

Hope you enjoyed my Friday rant. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment