COF

COF

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

JJS History Month: Day 12

My views on religion are as complex as most of my beliefs are. I don't follow any particular denomination and I guess if you put a gun to my head I might say that I'm spiritual/agnostic. My biggest issue is that I don't want to put all my eggs into one offering basket. I would hate to die, get all the way across to the afterlife, only to get kicked out for not doing what was required of me. On the other hand, I wold hate to go through life depriving myself of all the fun stuff, only to die and end up in Oblivion anyway.
If you only live once, then why waste it?
It's a conundrum, one which leads me to something I definitely don't believe in:  reincarnation. Sorry, Rand al'Thor, but that's the way the cookie crumbles in my book. I'm not completely closed to the notion, I just can't see how it's possible. The strangely logical part of my brain says if the cycle existed, then it couldn't go on forever, so what's the point? Does reincarnation only last for as long as the human race does? I'm sure this can spin a million theories, but for now I'm speaking within the conventional sense.
And that leads to a contradiction within my own doctrine, because I do believe in ghosts. Yeah, go ahead and laugh but I do. Why they might exist, I don't know. But I'm afraid of becoming one. Yeah it would be cool to sneak around for a while, maybe eavesdrop on a few shower sessions and the like, do a little Invisible Man action...but Earth, which encapsulates these ghosts, is going to end someday---gone. So when the Earth goes, will the ghosts be hanging around in space, bored as hell (no pun intended) forever? Yuck, not so cool. Or will they be able to go with the others on spaceships to colonize the rest of the universe? I suppose if ghosts were just clumps of electromagentic energy, then they would die with the Earth.

I guess there's only one way to find out and we're all gonna know eventually. Until then, I'm keeping my options open.

No comments:

Post a Comment